Sunday, September 13, 2009

Way too long






Wow, I didn't think I'd be THIS bad at blogging. It's been over 2 months, shameful. Just goes to show how quickly life can fly by and you not realize it.
So a quick run down to get us caught up.

Second trimester was great. I have no complaints. I was energized and happy, didn't really put on any weight, ate well, and just enjoyed watching my ever growing belly. I had a weird symptom that despite all my researching and asking at my OB visits, no-one could really explain... a burning belly. I still have it occasionally but it was really intense for a couple months there. The best explanation I got was that it was my skin stretching but there are no stretch marks there and it was in exactly the same spot each time. It's not heartburn, I have been lucky enough to avoid that. I think because I am carrying Riley so low she isn't really interfering up there.

Laying on my back finally got to be uncomfortable and waking every hour or so to shift from sleeping on my left to sleeping on my right is still ongoing and gets a bit old... but if that's all I have to complain about I think I've done quite well.

Third trimester hit and in the beginning was good but now I am slowing down. With only 3 weeks to go and my prediction, or is it wishful thinking, is that she is going to come early. I hope she comes on my nan's birthday, September 21st, but Mike says she can't come until October since the recipe says she won't be ready until October haha. Mike needs directions for everything and falls apart if he doesn't have any so this made his statement even funnier.

In non pregnancy related items, Mike and I signed up to help out a great organization called Island Dog, www.islanddog.org . They rescue dogs abandoned on beaches in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, treat them, and bring them to the states to find forever homes. Learning about this group and the plight of the dogs really touched me and we felt we had to do something.
So along came Roxy... Roxy's story really hit a nerve with Mike and I. She was dumped at a few weeks old on the beach with her brother, who was subsequently killed with a machete, an act of fun or boredom, or both, who knows. So senseless and awful and she watched her brother go through that. We had to help. Katie, Island Dog founder and president, brought her to our house where she took over for a month. It was great to have a puppy in the house again and she definitely lit up the room with her wagging tail and trusting nature. It's so wonderful that she continued to trust in people after all she went through. We toyed with the idea of keeping her and as hard as the decision was, decided she was better off in a home that wasn't about to be turned upside down by the arrival of a little one of the human kind.

It was really tough to say goodbye, not least because she looked so much like London. It was a little like losing her all over again but bittersweet since we knew she was going to a great home with a lovely lady who has 2 other active dogs, perfect for a playful pup.

We had our showed in August. That was great. I can't thank my mom enough for all her great planning. She really pulled off a great event. It was so nice so see everyone and get some great things for Riley. Mike and I have been really blessed to have such great family and friends, who have been so generous.

The shower was at a really cool hotel called aloft. It was very trendy, very modern, very me. I loved it.

My last day of work is Sept. 15th. My company merged with another company and I got laid off. I did work 2 months after finding this all out but it has been hard as every one else I am used to working with went to the new company so it got kind of lonely there for a while. So I have to go on unemployment next week and start looking for my next challenge. Hopefully it won't take too long, although all you hear about now is the economy and bad job market so who knows.

I think that puts us back to date. Mike and the borough started their 8th or 9th or 20th season together yesterday and came away with a win. I can't wait for Riley to see her daddy play and I think it's great that after 8 years as college buddies they still take the time to play sports together.

Well, now it's time to wait and wait and hopefully not wait too long for the arrival of our little girl. I will commit to being much better about updating this blog especially since I'll be off work in a couple days.


No comments:

Post a Comment