Monday, November 23, 2009

Playing catchup


Ok, so I am still playing catchup with my blog and my intention is to actually be writing as events happen and not remembering back to 6 weeks ago when we brought Riley home :)

Mike was wonderful and I am not sure how people do this without the support of either a family member of partner. More power to women whose partners leave them high and dry pregnant and they have to learn to navigate this new world alone. I mean you do it and I am sure I would cope but I am blessed and glad I don't have to.

I came to the realization that there are just things that moms don't tell expectant moms or people planning on getting pregnant. The former probably because why burst the bubble and the latter because we still need people to procreate to keep the world moving :)

So no one told me about labor and I already covered that part, but no one tells you that when you get home, sans awesome belly, yes I loved mine, and plus a life you are now responsible for, that your body goes through a more radical emotional change that it did the entire pregnancy. Once the baby leaves your body a ridiculous hormonal shift takes place that messes with you emotionally for anywhere between 1 to 8 weeks. Mine lasted about 3 and all I could think was ``what have I done.'' The scary part is I thought I would think this forever.

Thankfully your body does eventually balance itself out and once you get a routine down it's a pleasurable experience. Sure I feel like my brain cells diminish daily (she's not much of a conversationalist) and sure the highlight of my day now is making a bottle and waiting for an intentional (not gas inspired) smile, but it's MY daughter. A life the love that Mike and I have for each other created and we get to teach her and guide her and share with her all the joys this world has to offer.

On from the mushy stuff, so the last month has brought ups and downs. I enjoy nothing more than reviewing baby stuff online and finding the best diaper deals out there. I get to keep my house in order and cook for Mike and Riley is starting to figure out who we are. She loves to be held and rocked and is overall a very good baby.

We went to a pumpkin carving party with Mike's college buddies when she was 10 days old and she was a perfect angel. She also loves to be in the water. I have always loved being in the water and Mike isn't so keen, so I am very happy about that. Looks like I have my water baby.

She had her 1 month appointment today. She is 11lbs, 7 oz. and is in the 95th percentile for weight. She is 23 inches and is over 100th percentile for height. The doctor said the percentiles are not indicative of adult height and weight, but they do give us a gauge of how well she is growing. Dr. Gwyn is very happy with her overall and said she is doing 2 month old baby things so she is a few weeks ahead. She also got a shot while we were there... one quick scream and she was over it.

Thanksgiving is coming up this week so the holiday season is officially kicking off. It is so exciting to share this time of year with my child now. I don't even care about presents this year, and for anyone that knows me, that is a big deal haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment